Taxonomy: Pencil Urchin Assorted Color Urchin belongs to the Kingdom Animalia, Phylum Echinodermata, Class Echinoidea, Order Cidaroida, Family Cidaridae and Genus Eucidaris.
Scientific names: The scientific name of Pencil Urchin Assorted Color Urchin is Eucidaris species.
Other common names: Pencil Urchin Assorted Color Urchin is also commonly known as Pencil Caribbean Urchin, Pencil Urchin, Mine Urchin and Club Urchin.
Origin or natural range: The Eucidaris species originates from the Caribbean Sea.
Size: Pencil Urchin Assorted Color Urchin may grow up to a size of around two inches.
Color: The Eucidaris species occurs in Black and Brown colors.
Aggression: Pencil Urchin Assorted Color Urchin is non-aggressive towards the marine aquarium invertebrates.
Compatibility: The Eucidaris species is moderately reef compatible.
Venom status: The spines of Pencil Urchin Assorted Color Urchin are slightly poisonous.
Habit & Habitat: The Eucidaris species is Nocturnal in nature and therefore, hides under rocks during the day time while, coming out to feed actively at night.
Morphology: The short and thick spines of Pencil Urchin Assorted Color Urchin radiate out from all around its body and are covered with basal plates. The spines develop algal growth, especially Coralline Algae, as the Eucidaris species ages.
Growth enabling environment in your marine aquarium: Aquarium habit & habitat:
Feeding & Nutrition:
- Tank type: To host Pencil Urchin Assorted Color Urchin, you should have a large sized Reef Type Marine Aquarium.
- Aquarium set-up:
- Place ample quantity of rocks and rock caves in your marine aquarium for the Eucidaris species to hide under.
- Keep Live Rocks in your reef tank for the Pencil Urchin Assorted Color Urchin to graze its food from.
- Temperature of water: Seventy-two to seventy-eight degrees Fahrenheit.
- Specific gravity of water: 1.023 to 1.025.
- pH of water: 8.10 to 8.40.
- Diet: Pencil Urchin Assorted Color Urchin is Omnivorous in feeding habit.
- Food content: The Eucidaris species eats Green Hair Algae or Green Filament Algae, Coralline Algae and small marine invertebrates such as, squirts and sponges to name some.
- Supplements: Supplement the diet of Pencil Urchin Assorted Color Urchin with some dried seaweed and the meaty bits of small marine invertebrates.
- The Eucidaris species does not generally breed in captivity.
- Pencil Urchin Assorted Color Urchin is moderately difficult to maintain.
- Sudden changes in the pH of your marine aquarium’s environment may give pH shock to the Eucidaris species therein.
- Nitrates and Copper in any form in your marine aquarium may prove lethal for the Pencil Urchin Assorted Color Urchin in it.
- The spines of the Eucidaris species are quite brittle and can break easily. Therefore, handle the urchin very carefully and delicately.
- The shedding of spines by the Pencil Urchin Assorted Color Urchin is reflective of the compromised water quality in your marine aquarium.
- The Eucidaris species may bulldoze coral polyps in your marine aquarium. Therefore, keep the urchin in a large sized tank to prevent congestion.
- Strongly fix the rockwork in your marine aquarium so that the Pencil Urchin Assorted Color Urchin is not able to move it.
- The spines of the Eucidaris species are poisonous and can be pretty painful if you are stung. Therefore, carefully handle Pencil Urchin Assorted Color Urchin and wear your plastic gloves.
- The Eucidaris species is poisonous when it dies, so, remove the urchin from your marine aquarium soon after its demise.