Belonging to the Family Labridae, Wrasses are one of the largest known varieties of Marine Fish, which consist of around 600 species. Wrasses show a typical behavior of burying themselves in the sand when stressed or threatened. Fresh Marine provides you with a variety of fishes from this family. Before we move to the options available at Fresh Marine, lets have a look at the basic characteristics of Wrasses.Compatibility.
Most of the species of Wrasses are aggressive and Carnivorous in nature and therefore, should be kept only with other aggressive and big fishes. Its advisable to keep one specimen per tank.
Habit & Habitat. Wrasses are common in the Indo Pacific region, the Coral Sea, Tonga, and Hawaii.
Morphology. Wrasses are colorful fish and their size ranges from 2-7. Juveniles are morphologically different from their adult forms.
Ideal Marine Aquarium Environment. Wrasses are mostly Reef Compatible and require large tank with a lot of Corals, Rockwork, Caves, and fine Sandy Substrate to hide. Aquarium water should have a Temperature of 72-78°F; the Specific Gravity of 1.020-1.025; a pH of 8.1-8.4; and the dKH of 8-12. Wrasses are jumpers ,therfore covering the tank is necessary.
Aquarium Feeding. Wrasses feed on Algae, Planktons, Shrimps, Squids, Sea Urchins, and the other varieties of fresh or prepared meaty food.
Aquarium Breeding. Its very difficult to breed Wrasses in captivity.
Care. Most of the species of Wrasses require an expert level of care.Let us now have a look at some of the best selling Wrasses available at Fresh Marine.Genus Cirrhilabrus.
These Wrasses are also called Fairy Wrasses, owing to their beautiful looks and excellent adaptability for Reef Type Marine Aquarium. These Wrasses feed on Zooplanktons in wild.
1. Blue Head Fairy Wrasses - Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura.
2.Lubbock's Fairy Wrasses - Cirrhilabrus lubbocki - Tri-Color Fairy Wrasses.
3. Painted Fairy Wrasses - Cirrhilabrus solarensiss - Clown Fairy Wrasses - Rainbow Fairy Wrasses - Redheaded Fairy Wrasses - Solar Fairy Wrasses.
4. Red Parrot Fairy Wrasses - Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis - Ruby Head Parrot Wrasses - Redfin Fairy Wrasses.
5. Red Velvet Wrasses - Cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis - Rosy-scales Fairy Wrasses.
6. Scott's Multicolor Wrasses - Cirrhilabrus scottorum - Scott's Fairy Wrasses.
7. Lineatus Fairy Wrasses - Cirrhilabrus lineatus - Lined Fairy Wrasses.
8. Laboute's Fairy Wrasses - Cirrhilabrus laboutei - Laboutei Fairy Wrasses. Genus Thalassoma.
These Wrasses are hardy, aggressive, & beautiful, and require moderate care.
1. Bluehead Wrasses - Thalassoma bifasciatum.
2. Hardwicke Wrasses - Thalassoma hardwicke - Sixbar Wrasses - Hardwick.
3. Lunare Wrasses - Thalassoma lunare - Lyretail Wrasses - Moon Wrasses.
4. Mexican Rainbow/Rock Wrasses - Thalassoma lucasanum - Cortez Rainbow - Lollipop.
5. Sunset Wrasses - Thalassoma lutescens (male) - Banana Wrasses - Yellow Moon Wrasses. Genus Gomphosus.
These Wrasses have elongated beaks like birds and are therefore called Bird Wrasses.
1. Brown/Green Bird Wrasses (Female/male) - Gomphosus varius. Genus Paracheilinus.
These Wrasses are known as Flasher Wrasses.
1. Carpenter's Flasher Wrasses - Paracheilinus carpenteri - Redfin Flasher Wrasses.
2. Filamented Flasher Wrasses - Paracheilinus filamentous.
3. McCosker's Flasher Wrasses - Paracheilinus mccoskeri.Genus Labroides.
These Wrasses help in cleaning Parasites and Debris from the skin surface of other fish and are therefore known as Cleaner Wrasses. Wrasses need an Experts care.
1. Common Cleaner Wrasses - Labroides dimidiatus - Bluestreak Cleaner - Pacific Cleaner.
2. Four Line Cleaner Wrasses - Larabicus quadrilineatus - Red Sea Cleaner Wrasses.
3. Golden Cleaner Wrasses (Hawaii) - Labroides phthirophagus - Cleaner Royal - Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasses.Genus - Novaculichthys.
These Wrasses are aggressive and voracious eaters.
1. Dragon Wrasses - Juvenile / Sub-Adult - Novaculichthys taeniourus - Rockmover Wrasses.Genus Pseudocheilinus.
These are also known as Lined Wrasses.
1. Eight Line Wrasses - Pseudocheilinus octotaenia - Eight-Line Hawaii Wrasses - Eightline Flasher Wrasses - Red Sea Flasher Wrasses.
2. Mysteri Wrasses - Psuedochellinus mysterii - Mystery Wrasses - Five Bar Wrasses.
3. Six Line Wrasses - Pseudocheilinus hexataenia - Sixline Wrasses. Genus - Coris.
These Wrasses are not Reef Compatible, and are fairly big in size.
1. Formosa Wrasses Adult/Juvenile - Coris formosa - Queen Coris - Formosan Coris Wrasses.
2. Red Coris Wrasses (Adult/Juvenile) - Coris gaimard - Yellowtail Coris - Red Coris.
3. Twin Spot Coris Wrasses Juvenile - Coris aygula - Clown Coris - Twinspot Coris. Genus - Halichoeres.
These are Peaceful Jumper fish.
1. Golden Coris Wrasses - Halichoeres chrysus - Golden Wrasses - Canary Wrasses - Golden Yellow Coris.
2. Green Wrasses - Halichoeres chloropterus - Pastel Green - Green Coris Wrasses.
3. Marble/Hort Wrasses - Halichoeres hortulanus - Checkerboard Wrasses.
4. Radiant Wrasses - Halichoeres iridis - Radiant Wrasses.Genus Hemigymnus.
These are Peaceful, attractive fish for Fish Only Systems.
1. Half & Half Wrasses - Hemigymnus melapterus - Banner Wrasses - Blackedge Thicklip.Genus Lienardella.
These Wrasses are vicious in appearance, are peaceful, and are suitable for Fish Only Systems.
1. Harlequin Tusk Wrasses - Lienardella fasciata - Tusk Harlequinalia Tuskfish.Genus - Macropharyngodon.
These Wrasses have a spotted surface, are Reef Compatible and Peaceful Community Fish.
1. Leopard Wrasses - Macropharyngodon meleagris.
2. Potter's Wrasses - Macropharyngodon geoffroyi - Potter's Leopard Wrasses.Genus Wetmorella.
These Wrasses have Arrow Head shaped body, and they change color with mood, sex, or when frightened.
1. Possum Wrasses - Wetmorella sp. - Banded Possum Wrasses.Genus - Anampses.
These are high maintenance, Reef Compatible fish, and are also known as Tamarin Wrasses.
1. Red-Tail Tamarind Wrasses - Anampses chrysocephalus.
2. Yellowtail Wrasses - Anampses meleagrides - Yellow-Tail Tamarin. Genus - Larabicus.
These are high maintenance fish, known for their typical feeding behavior.
1. Four Line Cleaner Wrasses - Larabicus quadrilineatus - Red Sea Cleaner Wrasses.
Copyright © FreshMarine.com